Yup. Just about anything without a media tie-in does not do to well. However there are exceptions…
Racy shojo and teen love
Racy or fanservice heavy seinen
The US market for manga is not really a content quality driven one. It in most cases is a derivative market influenced heavy by anime (and video games). It is tough to hear, especially since I generally only read alt manga, seinen and josei, but as someone who has to evaluate the business it is easy to understand and recognize.
The only way to change this is by changing buying habits. But I have to say that is a very very tough thing to make happen on a broad scale.
Favourite animators/production designers: Gekidan Inu Curry (劇団イヌカレー)
- Gekidan Inu Curry are an animation troupe famous for their designs of the witches and the witches’ otherworld in Puella Magi Madoka☆Magica. Their techniques draw inspiration from Russian animation and Czech animation. They utilize stop-motion animation and coloring that resembles hand-drawn illustrations.
- Their pen names are 2shiroinu (2白犬) and Doroinu (泥犬). 2shiroinu, or Ayumi Shiraishi (白石 亜由美), is a former Gainax animator. Doroinu, or Yousuke Anai, worked at Tanto Do-GA Studio. (source)
- NND video of openings, endings and music videos made by Gekidan Inu Curry
- tumblr blog dedicated to Gekidan Inu Curry
- Japanese wikipedia + sakuga wiki
- Don’t forget to click the gifs for the titles!
- Smuts were known as lemons
- Yaoi Warnings ( Don’t Like, Don’t Read! )
- Character x Character instead of Character/Character
- Every Time We Touch videos, and the forgotten Listen To Your Heart videos
- Numa Numa
- Naruto Phase